Career Center of the SCESC
The Somerset County Educational Services Commission in partnership with the Somerset County Vocational and Technical Schools proudly presents the Career Center!
Learning Lab Descriptions
Supermarket Careers Program
- Students train for entry-level supermarket and retail positions.
- Students work in a fully operational convenience sized ShopRite retail store.
- Students are trained for jobs in all retail departments including: cashier, produce, deli, bakery, courtesy, and grocery.
Power Equipment & Small Engine Technology
- Students learn how to repair and maintain equipment powered by small displacement engines such as tractors, generators, and motorcycles.
- First year students develop skills in using hand tools, operating four stroke engines, and servicing spark plugs.
- The advanced students learn to troubleshoot problems and understand two stroke theory, ignitions/fuel, and engine compression. Emphasis is placed on safety orientation throughout.
Graphic Arts & Design Program
- Students are introduced to the skills and applications in the areas of computer programming, hardware services, networking configurations, graphic design, desktop publishing, and marketing.
- Students learn many skills by experiencing hands-on activities involving design, creation, and advertising of various products.
Life Skills Program
- This program offers students, grades K-12+, crucial independence skills that will facilitate their transition from school to life.
- Learned skills include personal/social, hygiene, cooking, clothing care, and functional academics.
(Programs available in 3 eighty minute sessions: Morning, Midday, and Afternoon
Students will be eligible to earn elective credits)
For more information please contact:
Principal: Dr. Karleen Kemp
Office: (908) 707-2055
Fax: (908) 707-2440